Sunday, March 16, 2014

Funerals

Hey world. So this is another random post, like they all are, and I think this is kind-of ironic:
*disclaimer: This is not my great-grandma. This is just one from Google.

So my great-granny's funeral was yesterday (March 15) . . .

MARCH 15!! BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH. 

I thought it was a nice coincidence anyways.

But I hadn't been to a funeral before then for 12 years or so, so I had didn't really know what to expect. Here's my experience.

We arrive at the church, which was conveniently located right next to the old folks' home, and there is only a few cars in the parking lot, so we waited a while, thinking that more people would arrive so we wouldn't be almost the first ones there. But no one came, and my mom had to pee so we went in.

We got inside the church (it was a Catholic church) and I see my dad's dad who is about 6 ft 2, and thinner than a rail. He comes over

"Wow. You look good. How old are you now" "My you've grown up fast" "What instruments do you play?"

(well I play piano and flute, my sister plays piano and trombone)

"Oh, trumpet, thats good, good." XD

Then there are all those people playing the "Guess who I am game."

Oh, you saw me when I was four? Surprise! I don't know you!

Then my Great-aunt (?) literally pulls me over to the open casket and makes me stare at the body of a woman I never met. Then went on to tell me about "she couldn't open her eyes the last couple weeks, and she wasn't eating. But the other nursing home residents all loved her. She would wheel down the halls humming tunes. But she was ready to go."

When she left me standing there to go talk to more important people, I thought "I wonder what this dead body feels like."

So I touched the hand.

I can't really describe how it felt, but it was weird, and I would recommend feeling a corps' hand if you get the chance. I was almost like a combination of hard wax and plastic.

It was weird to look at though. I kept waiting for it to open its eyes or jump out at me, but it didn't. ( I can't say that I wasn't a little disappointed) Death is pretty final.

That's all I have. The ceremony was almost amusing to me, because I think Catholics are so far from any truth. I could write a whole post just about them. Remind me sometime.

Peace XD








No comments:

Post a Comment